Thursday, November 8, 2012

Princess Julia: Math Wizard

Julia (far right) scored 14th out of 44 in the individual test.
I made my first trip to McMillan Magnet School today to watch Julia participate in a math contest with three other classmates. I arrived after they had already completed a round of written exam.

Once inside the main auditorium, the "quiz bowl" portion of the day began. Each of the 20+ schools had a few seconds to answer various math problems projected up on the board. Since I was seated several rows behind Julia and her classmates, I could only gauge by their reaction whether they were getting the questions right or wrong.

In the end, Julia placed 14th of the 44 people in her individual category competition. I'm not sure how the school did as a whole, but it seemed like the students and their teacher had a good time.

No comments: